Essential Oil Safety
Essential Oils and Children
*The following is provided for informational purposes only.
Here is a condensed list of essential oils, complied by Certified Aromatherapist, Lea Harris, on which essential oils can and cannot be used with children. (Used with permission). For a more comprehensive list by Lea Harris, see more at http://www.learningabouteos.com/children
What Essential Oils Should You Avoid With Children?
• Anise/Aniseed Pimpinella anisum – avoid using (all routes) on children under 5
• Benzoin Styrax benzoin, Styrax paralleloneurus and Styrax tonkinensis – avoid topical use on children under 2
• Clove Bud, Clove Leaf, Clove Stem Syzygium aromaticum, Eugenia caryophyllata, Eugenia aromatica – avoid topical use on children under 2
• *Eucalyptus Eucalyptus camaldulensis, Eucalyptus globulus, Eucalyptus maidenii, Eucalyptus plenissima, Eucalyptus kochii, Eucalyptus polybractea, Eucalyptus radiata, Eucalyptus Autraliana, Eucalyptus phellandra, Eucalyptus smithii – avoid using on children under 10
• Lemongrass Cymbopogon flexuosus, Andropogon flexuosus, Cymbopogon citratus, Andropogon citratus – avoid topical use on children under 2
• Marjoram (Spanish) Thymus mastichina – avoid using on children under 6
• Oregano Origanum onites, Origanum smyrnaeum, Origanum vulgare, Origanum compactum, Origanum hirtum, Thymbra capitata, Thymus capitatus, Coridothymus capitatus, Satureeja capitata – avoid dermal use on children under 2
• Peppermint Mentha x Piperita – avoid using (all routes) on children under 6
• *Rosemary Rosmarinus officinalis – avoid using on children under 6
• Sage (White) Salvia apiana – avoid using on children under 6
• Tea Tree (lemon-scented) Leptospermum petersonii, Leptospermum citratum, Leptospermum liversidgei,- avoid topical use on children under 2
• Ylang-Ylang Cananga odorata – avoid topical use on children under 2 * indicates essential oils that are high in 1,8-cineole and can potentially cause respiration to slow in children.
What Essential Oils Can I Use On or Around My Children?
Note that these MUST be diluted properly:
- Blue Tansy
- Pines -except Ponderosa Pine (Pinus ponderosa), or Huon Pine (Dacrydium franklinii)
- Roman Chamomile
- Sweet Marjoram
- Tea Tree
…FOR THE COMPLETE LIST VISIT: http://www.learningabouteos.com/children
…Here are some free downloads from the Atlantic Institute of Aromatherapy (Aradia Naturals is in no way affiliated with this institute. The link provided is for informational purposes only):
…ADDITIONAL RESOURCES YOU MAY WANT TO EXPLORE:
Learn more about the safe use of essential oils, with Essential Oil Safety, by Robert Tisserand and Rodney Young (Available on Amazon). This is an in-depth, erudite book that will answer many of your questions in a sound and concise manner.